My Entrepreneurship story, Assignment 3A

My entrepreneurship story

I was 12 years old when the newest and latest gaming device was released, the PlayStation Portable. I really wanted it but at it’s $250 price tag my parents had to decide between groceries for family or the gaming device. Not being able to afford the PlayStation Portable gave me my first taste of entrepreneurship when I decided to take matters into my own hands and somehow make the money I needed to get what I wanted. I started selling candy under the table in my middle school. I would buy bulk candy from Costco and sell individually to classmates. Soon enough, in about 4 months, I had enough money made to buy the PlayStation Portable for myself. In hindsight, this experience shaped me significantly - allowing me to build an internal locus of control.

Fast forward 4 years and I am working as a busboy at a local restaurant. I have picked up photography as a hobby and I am in my junior year of high school and it’s time to start looking into colleges and figuring out that part of education. However, as a hobby photographer, my main focus was on figuring out how to make money from it. I used the money I earned at the restaurant and invested it back into my photography - buying cameras, lenses, editing software, etc. Photography led me to Videography and I was offering both as services I could provide. I was 17 years old and I dreamed of owning my own business doing photos and videos. 

After high school and a few dozen or so paid gigs with my photo/video business, I started college classes. While studying, I continued to build my business, figuring out ways to market myself and networking. Little did I know that a year later, my life would change forever. A company that put together college events around the nation contacted me to help them make videos of their parties. Without hesitation, I agreed and accepted the job. I dropped out of college for the first time. 

For the next two years, I traveled to a different University every week creating original video content. The videos I produced showcased the life of a student and the events we were hosting. While on the road I learned to live out of a suitcase and work virtually anywhere with a surface flat enough for my laptop. I met endless amount of people across the country and I learned the value of having meaningful connections. Best of all, I was living out one of my dreams: Traveling the country, and using my talent and skills as a cinematographer for my job. I gained a wider perspective from visiting so many unique places, recognizing that humans have a lot more in common than differences. After two years, I was plateauing in growth with that company, and because of an ownership fallout, the business was declining. I had given them my all, and I was very thankful for my time there, but it was time for me to move on.

With all the knowledge and experience I now had, I decided that I wanted to work for myself as a video producer. I moved to Orlando, Florida and partnered up with a good friend of mine who also worked in video production. We came up with a plan on how we were going to build a business and went after it with relentless execution. 

It has been almost three years since then and my company is thriving. We are profitable at a higher rate than the average business at this age. We have have a wide array of clients, and we focus on commercial, creative, and lifestyle video production work. I am extremely proud of myself and the people I work with. 

I enrolled in ENT3003 because I believe that there is always more to learn. I believe I am already an entrepreneur, but I am far from where I want to be. This class will give me new insight and ideas on how I can expand myself and my businesses. 


Comments

  1. Hi Cristian,

    First, I'd like to say thank you for doing your posts early because I also like to get my work done well before the deadline including my peer reviews. Second, that's super cool and it sounds like you're in the right class. Third, I probably shouldn't tell you this because then you'd be more competition, but have you ever heard of the Red Bull challenge, "Can You Do It"? A friend of mine from my exchange did it and it sounds like it'd be right up your alley (eventually, I'd like to try too). Basically, you get a team of three students and make a 1-minute video and if your video gets enough likes (about 10,000 I think), Red Bull will pay for your team to hitchhike around Europe for a week using nothing but Red Bull cans to get around. With your videography skills and love for travel, I'd imagine you'd have a pretty good shot at it. Shoot me back a reply if you want to hear more about it.

    Thanks,
    Tess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tess! I too like doing my work as early as possible and appreciate those who do too. Ohh this sounds awesome. I would love to hear more about it!

      Delete
  2. Hello Christian!

    First and foremost, I would like to thank you for sharing this story with us. Your story really inspired me, and I would imagine that it has inspired many others. Even the story from when you were a child selling candy to make money resonates with me. I never did it myself, but I had friends who did, and I always looked up to them for their drive and hustle, even at such a young age. People who want to be successful are constantly trying to move forward, and stories like yours light a fire under me to get out there and try even harder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the reply, Joshua. I'm glad my story can inspire some! if you ever need help or motivation, I can recommend a few books that have inspired me greatly.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A17 Elevator Pitch Practice! (Part 2!)

10A – Elevator Pitch No. 1