27A – Reading Reflection No. 3



Steve Jobs by Walter Isaacson


What suprised me:

How quirky and hippie Jobs was. He would indulge himself with drug like LSD and Pot. He enjoyed a very minimalistic life. But the quirkiest of all the things he did was his apple diet, where he ate only apples for 2 months. 

What do I most admire:

He set huge stretch goals for everyone around him. He would not let anyone tell him that something wasn't possible. Jobs always pushed everyone to their limits, sometime it went horribly wrong, but often it lead to incredible sucess. 

What do I admire the least:

I don't think he had a high emotional inteligence. He didn't seem to empathize a lot for other. He once got locked out of the Apple building because he had not showered or used deodorant and smelled terrible. That was part of his "minimalistic" mentality, but he didn't consider other around him when making those choises.

What competencies did Jobs exhibit"

He was incredibly intuitive. He had a knack of putting his finger on products he believed people would need, when the people themselves did not even know they needed it. 

A part that was confusing:

There was some ambiguity about how they made one of their first computers. A proccesing chip they were buying was to big to fit in a smaller computer so they made their own proccessing chip but did not explain how.

What would I ask him?

- I would ask him, Just like I did for Elon, "What do you eat for breakfast?"

- and "How do you become such a powerful leader, but yet some people at your company hate you?"


 


Comments

  1. I did not realize how quirky Steve Jobs was, his apple diet fascinates me. I want to read this book to find out why he did this. I found what you least admired interesting too, as empathy towards other people is so important but some of these amazing entrepreneurs seem to lack it. I had a feeling Coco Chanel was a bit like that too as I read this book for the reading assignment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "There is a fine line between insanity and genius." This is the quote that comes to mind when I read your description of Steve Jobs. He did some weird things, some of them were great, some of them weren't. I guess you have to be a little crazy to be a genius. I have heard that he isn't a very compassionate person which is linked to his low emotional intelligence. One person can't have it all.
    Thanks for sharing,
    Tess

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A17 Elevator Pitch Practice! (Part 2!)

10A – Elevator Pitch No. 1