21A – Reading Reflection No. 2

I read "Thinking, Fast and Slow" by Daniel Kahneman
1) What was the general theme or argument of the book?
This book went into detail about our ways of thinking: System 1 - quick almost reaction type thoughts to make decisions, and System 2 - analyzed thoughts and ideas. It dove deeper to cover why we and how we use both systems, and some fallacies that we also use.
2) How did the book, in your opinion, connect with and enhance what you are learning in ENT 3003?
Im more aware now of my style of thinking and thought process. I understand some of the fallacies I can fall for and know to look out for them,
3) If you had to design an exercise for this class, based on the book you read, what would that exercise involve?
It would definitely be a study on how we perceive memories. Good or bad? and a look at the actual memory and what made it such.
4) What was your biggest surprise or 'aha' moment when reading the book? In other words, what did you learn that differed most from your expectations?
My biggest surprise from this book was a concept in the area of "loss aversion", and it is an exception to loss aversion -  that once we experience a big loss, we become more desensitized to it and become willing to take on more risk in other activities. 

Comments

  1. I think being aware of how we think is so crucial to our everyday life and this comes down to making decisions and how we make decisions. I think your memory idea is interesting, people’s perceptions are all different so seeing this differences would tell a lot about the person. I want to read this book after reading about “loss aversion” as I want to understand more about this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cristian,
    I also chose this as my book and I really liked how it broke down how we think. I like your idea for a memory game because our memories are such a huge part of our thinking patterns. I think there is a TV show out there (maybe called Brain Games) that has all kinds of short clips that test your memory and how you think and I think something similar would be really fun as well as informative.
    Thanks for sharing!
    Tess

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Cristian!
    I read the same book. It was interesting to read something that really took the time to break down how we think in our daily lives, and it made me a lot more aware of the decisions that I make and it made me want to dig deeper into why I make the choices I make. The book went over a lot of our fallacies, and I want to make sure that I make more decisions that come from a proper place of reasoning.
    Thank you for sharing!
    Joshua

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A17 Elevator Pitch Practice! (Part 2!)

10A – Elevator Pitch No. 1